Friday, 3 May 2013

French artist JR / Institut Culturel Bernard Magrez

While I am out and about in my homeland I had to make sure to check out this fantastic mural by Parisian street artist known as JR at the Institut Culturel Bernard Magrez in Bordeaux, France.

Le Château Labottière was bought by Bernard Magrez 15 years ago and restored in 2011 to welcome the Institut Culturel Bernard Magrez, home to modern and contemporary art exhibitions. 

I spotted JR's work mostly around NYC, this time the artist stayed in Bordeaux and made this gorgeous mural. 





JR Lives and works in Paris and New York and he uses the streets to expose his signature monochrome wheat-pasting photographic imagery of characters. Engaged, his art is displayed on buildings all around the world. 

This mural is quite a contrast to his usual work and I think it adds a lot to the location.



Initially a graffiti artist, he became a photographer taking pictures of his friends and pasting them up on buildings. Now he travels the globe to brighten up our walls. 



JR likes to describe himtself as an urban activist and his work mixes action, commitment and freedom.  Preferring anonymity and collective work, his work combines humor, courage and keen awareness of society and its political context.



For more information on JR's work visit his page

JR is currently working on an ambitious project in Times Square, NYC, called Inside Out Project. You can also find a great article from the Huffington Post here. I WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND AND SAY CHEESE but for now I have unfortunately no plan to go back to NYC!

1 comment:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first
    comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.
    I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    cheap flight to jeddah

    ReplyDelete